Monday, September 18, 2006

Bourton on the Water

I was supposed to be going for a ride out with Matt on Sunday but he couldn't make it at the last minute so I went myself. I got myself onto the M42/M40, got off at junction 15 and headed along the A429 through Moreton-in-the-Marsh and into Bourton on the Water.







After a couple of brews I headed down to what must be one of the best preserved pieces of history in the country. Chedworth Roman Villa is situated about 8 miles south west of Bourton along the A429 towards Cirencester. It's worth noting that the A429 isn't the most inspirational road I've ever rode on. It would be a lot better if it wasn't littered with cars, have a junction every couple of hundred yards and have more bumps and undulations than a scramble track.


The Mosaic floor and heating ducts of the dining room



Under floor heating system

I almost came to grief on the carpark of the villa when I forgot to take my disc lock off. Needless to say I came to an abrupt halt and nearly dropped the bike. Luckily there was no damage done but I think it's about time I attached a brightly coloured piece of string to my lock and wrap it around my handlebar.

Posted by Mike

2 comments:

Rig said...

Mike, I also love going to BOW but I've never been to Chedworth Roman Villa. It looks an interesting place that worth a look the next time i'm in the area!

Anonymous said...

At £5.50 it's well worth sticking your nose in.