Monday, July 02, 2007

Tatenhill

Matt and I took a trundle up to Tatenhill airfield so that Matt could have a chat with somebody about helicopters. He's now officially a pilot you know!

The airfield is situated just outside Burton on Trent in a nice quiet rural location surrounded by some fantastic biking roads. There's a public access area which offers a good view of the planes and helicopters taking off and landing and there's also a cafe. All in all it was a very pleasant couple of hours.


Winnie (my Blackbird) with Matt in the background.






A view from the cafe.


If you get your binoculars out you might just be able to see a helicopter which is exactly like the one Matt's been learning to fly in.

The Royal International Air Tattoo at Fairford is being held on the 14th & 15th July. It's £32.50 entrance fee which I think is good value. I might just take a ride down there. There's cheap camping to be had too because a lot of the farmers open up their fields for the weekend.

I can feel a jangle coming on!

10 comments:

Momentary Madness said...

First of all I really like the new wall paper very snazzy indeed. I can hear Jimi Hendrix singing in the background Purple Haze: (now you know I'm colour blind) not so much the colour but the effect,cool.
Helicopter's scare the shit out of me. I like something that can if possible glide when the engine fails which I know copters can do but you have to be a hell of a pilot to do that act, but no doubt I would love to bring my youngest to the show and if I did I'd no doubt get high on the day and swallow my phobia. Nice one!
Y;-) Paddy

Ali said...

Love Winnie. As winner of your photo caption, and awaiting my prize of a Jangle day out, I would just like to say I am otherwise engaged that weekend, so you best blog in detail about it! lol

Anonymous said...

No words need to be said except "Great bike" love it.

Mike said...

Paddy - If I listened to Matt correctly, I think to glide a helicopter to have to stick the thing into auto gyrate, however you do that. The glide ratio is 6 to 1 which means it still falls like a lead balloon. Helicopters scare the shit out of me too!

Elaine Denning said...

I've never been in one, but would love the opportunity. It's just so damned expensive!

Anonymous said...

Mike, I agrre there are some good biking roads around that area, you should try Dunstall as wel, It's got a nice old church (eerie if ya know what I mean)if you are into that sort of thing.

Like the shot with the bike and yellow plane.

Anonymous said...

Forgive the spelling on previous post, still suffering from last night, see if you can put it right then delete this one.

savannah said...

my first helo ride was in los angeles...instead of a rise up for departure the pilot took off the side of building...as if we were going to plunge to the street below...when my heart started beating again it was a grand ride...oh yeah, i was sitting in FRONT and could see straight down...

(thanks of the insructions, i deleted my address comment already)

Mike said...

Come on then, own up. Who's searched google for spriggsy blogspot?

Anonymous said...

I just have and found "Round the world with a lunatic and other animals " as the first hit!

Can anyone think of anything that is more looked at than an a helicopter? Everyone looks up when they hear one.