Thursday, November 02, 2006

NEC Bike Show

Dean and I went to the bike show yesterday. As if £15 entry wasn't bad enough, I got stung a further £7 for the privilage of parking my car. And rubbing more salt into the wounds, I got conned out of £4.95 for a pork and stuffing bap! So now that I was £26.95 out of pocket I was on the lookout for some bargains to recoup my losses. Trouble is I was spoilt for choice and the simple task of finding some winter gloves, waterproof armoured trousers and a new crash helmet became a mine field and I gave up in the end and all I left the show with was an Orange County Choppers T-shirt...



... and a rather superb waterproof sack for my sleeping bag. Oh and some waterproofing stuff that goes in the washing machine and a free Carol Nash calendar.


For some really good high quality bike touring/camping stuff check out http://www.traveldri-plus.co.uk/

Dean on the other hand had a bit more success than me and walked away with a Micron pipe for his R6, some braided hoses, a neck warmer, a rucksack and a pile of cleaning products.

I should have taken a load of photos but I didn't find much of interest apart from a few customs.






Orange County Choppers' Lincoln bike

There was a few famous faces mulling around, Leon Haslem, Greg Lavilla, Kiyonari, John Reynolds, Jamie Whitam and Charley Boorman. I'm going to have a rant about Boorman.... If you're going to do a book signing, bloody do one, don't just turn up early in the morning, sign a pityfully small amount of books (40) and then bugger off. I was going to buy your book but you can get lost now.

I had a mutimedia text message off Loz this morning asking me if Dean really did go to the show as he'd seen this picture in the newspaper yesterday...



Posted by Mike

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

If you remove the words "the Taliban" and insert the words "Staffordshire Wildlife" at the end of that caption i think you will be much nearer the mark!!!

Rig said...

I'm off to the bike show on Saturday - thanks for the heads-up!

I also agree with your comments about Traveldri-Plus - I've used them for stuff in the past and they are a great company with excellent customer service.

Anonymous said...

Hey Rig, I've heard that Boorman is doing some more book signing on Saturday. If you happen to see him, tell him I'm not impressed with the limited books he could be bothered to sign, and tell him he's had a slagging off on our blog and I'd like him to take a look at our site and defend himself in person and maybe he can redeem himself by posting me a signed copy of his book along with an autograph from Ewan as my daughter thinks he's great.

Cheers pal

Rig said...

Charlie wasn't there, he had pre-signed 40 copies of his book though!

My son was also disappointed as we have been watching the Race to Dakar program on the TV and he was looking forward to seeing someone off the telly, he had to setting on sitting on a BMW F650 GS Dakar instead.

Anonymous said...

We were going to email his publishers and have a moan but I've since found out that he was there on Sunday putting in a great book signing performance and keeping everybody happy. So I might spare him an ear bending. I'd still like a book signed though, so come on Boorman, what you gonna do about it?