Thursday, March 01, 2007

Why's Nobody Riding?

Posted by Matt (Joey)

I can’t have a quiet pint down the not so local without someone arguing about the fire, trying to turn the music over (the diners don’t like planet rock, tough we do). Or Mike saying “when was the last time you contributed to Jangle, when was the last time you even looked at the blog”.

Well I have looked at it and excuse me but have I missed something in the last few weeks? Articles on car washes, burgers, graffiti, Loz’ hair and tank tops, where are the motorbikes? At least I have been out on my bike most days locally and down to London on Friday.

Ok it rained all the way there but that was just an excuse to stop for a smoke and riding a bike is the only way to travel in London. I had a meeting in Grosvenor square which would have been a nightmare to get to by car and public transport involves sitting next to people who smell of urine and want to talk! I know London fairly well but I also knew that I wouldn’t be able to turn right where I wanted to so I had to take the next one in the centre on a road I was not familiar with. A bit of guess work would have got me there but then I saw a motorcycle courier parked up. I asked him the way and after a bit off pointing around he said follow me. Now I should say for those not familiar with London’s couriers, they don’t hang around. On the way in on the A40 I couldn’t remember where all the speed cameras were so I followed a courier and when he went around the bend on the top of the fly over at seventy I guessed there were none there. This guy went a little slower, just sixty through the streets, in and out of taxis and buses, over Oxford Street (that went by in a blur) and suddenly I realise how much I am enjoying myself. The sun has come out, I am laughing at the people in the cars stuck at three miles per hour but all too soon I am at my destination. Thanks Mr. courier you are a star. This is where bikes come in to their own in London. I managed to park for free, fifty metres from where the meeting was and no congestion charge, shove that up Ken Livingstone.

It soon came round to home time, three o’clock on a Friday and the A40 is blocked. The A40 is always blocked, as sure as death, taxes and nurses the A40 is blocked. Not a problem on the bike nor was the M40, I am not sure about liability of admitting to speeds, so lets just say I got back to the pub and was having a pint at half five. What a great day out!

Matt

9 comments:

Mike said...

I'm glad you've posted that Matt, it takes Loz out of the limelight. I was starting to feel a bit guilty about it.

I'm sure Matt won't mind me telling you that he's an actor. Now, as rewarding as the acting profession can be, it also comes with its downsides, like not being able to go anywhere without women falling at your feet. I can relate to this after my five minutes of fame at the Monza Grand Prix.

And so, understandably he's had enough and decided to drop out of the limelight and reinvent himself as a commercial helicopter pilot.

Come Monday morning he will be off to the States for two and a half months to take his flight training.

I would like to wish Matt all the very best of luck over the coming months even though the bastard never got me my date with Kate Winslet that he promised me!!!!

Anonymous said...

Never had a pint, but it sounds as if yours was well wanted. Cheers!

ellie said...

Nice to see there is a real biker on here Matt, not one of those fair weather riders! Are you sure that was a courier and not some weird motorcycle mounted pimp? I didn't think Londoners were that friendly.
Good luck with your career change.

Elaine Denning said...

I cannot understand how anyone in their right mind would want to drive a car in London. And what a great guy you met!

Good luck with the new venture :)

Anonymous said...

Joey, i never stopped using my bike, its been used all year. perhaps you fear as i do, my car isn't likely to make it to London.


good luck with the BLIT-BLATS

Steven said...

Wait....I get death...I get taxes...but nurses?

Nurses?

This one's new to me. ;)

Steve~

Mike said...

It's come to light that there has been a problem with this latest post by Matt. Let me explain. Matt wrote the post in Word then emailed it to me. I then copied and pasted it into blogger and published it. All seemed well in my Firefox browser but it seems that some IE browsers were producing strange results, such as displaying opening and closing tags all over the place. Anyway it might be sorted now but can't bring myself to check as I've been to the pub and am now feeling decidedly tired, wobbly and man flued up.

Let me know if you (that means any reader) are still having problems and I'll endeavour to have another go at solving it tomorrow.

"endeavour", you know, is a big word this time of night!

Mike said...

The nurse thing.... I was wondering about that myself.

Mike said...

Loz, there might be some truth in what you've said because I know that Matt's car has a broken alternator and is currently not working!