Monday, July 24, 2006

Peak Forest

Yesterday I took myself on a bike ride up to Peak Forest where I have some friends who own a pub. Peak Forest is situated about 10 minutes north of Buxton in the High Peaks. I left Lichfield and headed up the A515 to Ashbourne. From there I continued along the A515 all the way to Buxton. The stretch of road from Ashbourne to Buxton is one of my favourite roads in the Peaks and totally speed camera free!

If ever you're up in that area you really must call into the Devonshire Arms in Peak Forest which is situated on the A623 near to Chapel-en-le Frith heading towards Chesterfield and say hello to Fiona and Ian who own the place.



Once inside you'll be greated by lovely modern surroundings, great beer and really fantastic food.



Take a look at their website at http://www.devarms.com and check out the menu.

Anyway, that's enough plugging of my friends establishment... Once I'd had a good old rattle to my pals of the above watering hole and rehydrated myself with an ice cool pint of tap water (sad but true) I headed back south along the A53 to Leek and then the A523 towards Ashbourne turning off onto the B5032/B5030 to Uttoxeter. From there it was out the other side towards Stafford, turning off onto the B5013 across Blithfield Reservoir (another great road) to Rugeley then onto the A51 back home.

It was one of those days where man and machine worked in perfect harmony, the more I rode the faster and smoother I became and the grin got bigger and bigger... one of those days when you get into a rhythm and you always seem to be able to overtake cars just at the right moment so they never seem to get in your way and slow you down, one of those days when you hit every apex with rail like precision.

Yip, yesterday was a perfect biking day! The weather was fantastic, my knee's as good as sorted and maybe I'm doing something wrong but it was better than sex!!!

Posted by Mike

No comments: